SOCS Board Minutes
November 29, 2018
South O’Brien Community School District
Board of Education Meeting
Monday, November 19, 2018
South O’Brien School-Paullina Site Conference Room
A. Call to Order: The regular monthly meeting of the South O’Brien Board of Education was held on Monday, November 19, 2018 at the South O’Brien School-Paullina Site Conference Room. President McCauley called the meeting to order at 6:30 p.m.
B. Roll Call and Declaration of Quorum: Secretary Rupert read roll call. Present: Sue McCauley, Kevin Nelson, Gina Paulsen, Tom Wagner, DJ Weber; Absent: Todd Faust (arrived 6:33 p.m.), Sandy Fritz. President McCauley declared a quorum present. Others present: Superintendent Dan Moore; Secretary Sharla Rupert; Business Manager Dee Ann Lansink; Principals Mike Morran and Steven Bruder; Activities Director Kent De Zeeuw; School Nurse Brittany Goodchild.
C. Adoption of Agenda: Motion by Paulsen and seconded by Nelson to adopt agenda. Motion carried, all ayes.
D. Welcome and Delegation: none
E. Consider Consent Items:
1. Minutes of Previous Meeting: Motion by Paulsen and seconded by Wagner to approve minutes of previous meeting. Motion carried, all ayes.
2. Financial Reports:
a. Consider Approval of Financial Statements: Motion by Wagner and seconded by Nelson to approve financial statements. Motion carried, all ayes.
b. Consider Payment of Invoices: Motion by Faust and seconded by Wagner to approve payment of invoices as presented. Motion carried, all ayes.
F. Unfinished Business: none
G. New Business:
1. Consider Approval of Resolution to Authorize FY19 Interfund Transfers between District Accounts: Motion by Paulsen and seconded by Faust to approve Resolution to Authorize FY19 Interfund Transfers between District Funds. Ayes: Faust, McCauley, Nelson, Paulsen, Wagner, Weber; Nays: none; Motion carried. Resolution is hereto attached and made part of these minutes.
2. Consider Approval of SBRC Application for Increased Enrollment/Open Enrollment Out/LEP: Motion by Paulsen and seconded by Weber to approve School Budget Review Committee (SBRC) application of $146,534 for Maximum On-Time Funding Modified Supplemental Amount for Increasing Enrollment and $2,984 for Maximum Modified Supplemental Amount for LEP Instruction Beyond 5 Years for a total of $149,518. Motion carried, all ayes.
3. Consider Approval of Request for Early Graduation: Motion by Wagner and seconded by Nelson to approve early graduation application from Hunter Shannon pending completion of South O’Brien High School graduation requirements. Motion carried, all ayes.
4. Consider Approval of Early Retirement Program: Motion by Nelson and seconded by Wagner to approve early retirement incentive with the following criteria: 55 years or older; $8,000/year for 5 years; certified staff and administrators; 12-month employees who have at least 15 years at South O’Brien School (custodians, transportation director, business manager, superintendent’s secretary). Ayes: McCauley, Nelson, Paulsen, Wagner, Weber; Nays: Faust; Motion carried.
5. Consider Approval of Skid Loader Purchase: Motion by Wagner and seconded by Nelson to approve purchase of used S595 T4 Bobcat Skid-Steer Loader with broom, bucket, pallet forks, and snow blower from Builders Sharpening and Service for $46,132.86. Motion carried, all ayes.
6. Consider Approval of Certified Staff Handbook: Motion by Wagner and seconded by Weber to approve 2018-2019 Certified Staff Handbook. Motion carried, all ayes.
1. Resignations: none
2. Employment of Staff: Motion by Wagner and seconded by Nelson to approve employment of staff as follows: David Pfaffle-Drivers Education Instructor @ a minimum salary of $3,250.00 for classroom instruction ($65 per student/50 students completing the course); the District also agrees to compensate said teacher $65 for each student over the 50 student minimum for classroom instruction. In addition, the District will provide a salary of $140.00 per student for driving instruction for students completing the course under the instructor’s direction; Ryan Strom-Drivers Education Instructor (driving only) @ $140 per student; Zach Schaver-Drivers Education Instructor (driving only) @ $140 per student; Nathan Struve-Assistant Boys Basketball Coach @ salary of $2,560; Mark Fuhrman-Girls Basketball Volunteer Coach. Motion carried, all ayes.
1. School Nurse: School Nurse Brittany Goodchild presented information on school nurse services.
2. Reports by Administrators:
a. Activities: Mr. De Zeeuw presented report including HS Boys and Girls Basketball, HS Wrestling, Cheer/Dance, Band, Chorus, Speech, FFA/Industrial Arts.
b. Elementary/Curriculum: Mr. Morran presented report including Fundraiser, Inflatables, Discipline Referrals, Professional Development, Parent-Teacher Conferences, Preschool Family Night, Book Fair, NW Iowa Symphony, and other school happenings.
c. Secondary: Mr. Bruder presented report including Music Concert, Yearbook, National FFA Convention, FFA Fruit Sales, In-Service/Professional Development, Mock Elections, Blood Drive, Veterans Day Assembly, Winter Sports, Honor Band and Choir, and other school happenings.
d. Superintendent: Mr. Moore presented report including Small Vehicle Upgrades; Shared Professional Development.
3. Recognition of staff, students, and patrons: See monthly newsletter and website for complete listing.
J. Board Committee Reports: none
1. IASB (Iowa Association of School Boards) Information: IASB Annual Convention- Sue McCauley attended both Pre-Convention and Annual Convention on November 14 and 15; Mr. Moore attended Annual Convention on November 15. Other upcoming IASB conferences and events information were shared.
L. Talking Points: Board members shared highlights of board meeting including School Nurse Report.
M. Adjournment: Motion by Paulsen and seconded by Nelson to adjourn at 8:00 p.m. Motion carried, all ayes.
Sue McCauley, Board President
Sharla Rupert, Board Secretary
Published in O'Brien County's Bell-Times-Courier November 29, 2018