South O'Brien Community School District Board of Education Meeting Wednesday, October 17, 2018
November 1, 2018
South O'Brien Community School District
Board of Education Meeting
Wednesday, October 17, 2018
South O'Brien School-Paullina Site Conference Room
A. Call to Order: The regular monthly meeting of the South O'Brien Board of Education was held on Wednesday, October 17, 2018 at the South O'Brien School-Paullina Site Conference Room. President McCauley called the meeting to order at 6:35 p.m.
B. Roll Call and Declaration of Quorum: Secretary Rupert read roll call. Present: Sandy Fritz, Sue McCauley, Kevin Nelson, Gina Paulsen, DJ Weber; Absent: Todd Faust, Tom Wagner. President McCauley declared a quorum present. Others present: Superintendent Dan Moore; Secretary Sharla Rupert; Business Manager Dee Ann Lansink; Principals Steven Bruder and Mike Morran; Activities Director Kent De Zeeuw; Association President Cheryl Brewer; Mari Radtke, Bell-Times-Courier.
C. Adoption of Agenda: Motion by Fritz and seconded by Paulsen to adopt agenda. Motion carried, all ayes.
D. Welcome and Delegation: none
E. Consider Consent Items:
1. Minutes of Previous Meetings: Motion by Paulsen and seconded by Nelson to approve minutes of previous meetings. Motion carried, all ayes.
2. Financial Reports:
a. Financial Statements: Motion by Nelson and seconded by Fritz to approve financial statements. Motion carried, all ayes.
b. Consider Payment of Invoices: Motion by Weber and seconded by Paulsen to approve payment of invoices as presented. Motion carried, all ayes.
F. Unfinished Business:
1. Consider Approval of Spring/Summer Coaching Contracts: Motion by Nelson and seconded by Paulsen to approve spring/summer coaching contracts as presented.
Motion carried, all ayes.
G. New Business:
1. Consider Approval of Track Payment #5: Motion by Paulsen and seconded by Nelson to approve Track Payment #5 for $36,089.09 to Beck Excavating, Inc. Motion carried, all ayes.
2. Consider Approval for Request for Allowable Growth and Supplemental Aid for Special Education Deficit: Motion by Nelson and seconded by Fritz to approve Request for Allowable Growth and Supplemental Aid for Special Education Deficit of $127,734.22. Motion carried, all ayes.
3. Consider Approval of Out-of-State Travel: Motion by Paulsen and seconded by Nelson to approve girls Basketball team travel to Sioux Falls, SD for game; elementary field trips to Pipestone, MN County Museum and Sioux Falls, SD Zoo. Motion carried, all ayes.
4. Consider Appointment of O'Brien County Conference Board Member: Motion by Fritz and seconded by Paulsen to appoint Tom Wagner as O'Brien County Conference Board member for the 2019 session. Motion carried, all ayes.
5. Consider Approval of Winter Sports Officials' Contracts for Board President Electronic Check Signature: Motion by Nelson and seconded by Paulsen to approve winter sports officials' contracts as presented for board president electronic check signature. Motion carried, all ayes.
1. Resignations: none
2. Employment of Staff: Motion by Nelson and seconded by Paulsen to approve employment of staff as follows:
Jeremy Gloden – Head Baseball Coach @ salary of $4,000
Kim Pettus – Elementary Paraeducator @ $9.75/hr.
Angela Hoff – Secondary Paraeducator @ $10.25/hr.
Tanner Petersen – Assistant Baseball Coach @ salary of $3,200
Lauri Sells – Volunteer State Dance Driver/Chaperone
Jim Wagner – Volunteer Boys Basketball
Drew Triplett - Volunteer Boys Basketball
Austin Wise - Volunteer Boys Basketball
DJ Hansen - Volunteer Boys Basketball
Motion carried, all ayes.
1. Certified Enrollment: Superintendent Moore presented 2018-2019 certified enrollment count information including an increase of 21.56 students.
2. Key Financial Indicators: Superintendent Moore presented information on key financial indicators including certified budget enrollment; staff costs vs. total costs; solvency ratio; balanced spending budget; unspent balance, fund balance (cash, fund balance vs. unspent balance).
3. Reports by Activities Director and Administrators:
a. Activities: Mr. De Zeeuw presented report including reports from coaches and directors for fall activities including Football, Volleyball, Cross Country, Cheer/Dance, Band, Chorus, FFA/Industrial Tech.
b. Elementary/Curriculum: Mr. Morran presented report including FAST assessments, substitutes, bullying prevention, pink out, reading intervention, discipline referrals down, fundraiser kickoff, fire safety, enrollment up, upcoming events, and other school happenings.
c. Secondary: Mr. Bruder presented report including ACT achievement scores, fall athletic teams, pink out, homecoming, junior high dance, music department, end of quarter, FCA trip, professional development, upcoming events, and other school happenings.
d. Superintendent: Mr. Moore presented report including special education costs.
4. Recognition of staff, students, and patrons: See website and monthly newsletter for listing.
J. Board Committee Reports: none
1. IASB (Iowa Association of School Boards) Information: Upcoming IASB events/workshops including IASB Annual Convention-November 15 at Des Moines, Pre-Convention Events–November 14. Sue McCauley reported on the IASB Board Development Workshop she attended at Spencer on October 10.
L. Talking Points: Increased enrollment and completion of track project.
M. Adjournment: Motion by Paulsen and seconded by Nelson to adjourn at 8:00 p.m. Motion carried, all ayes.
Sue McCauley, Board President
Sharla Rupert, Board Secretary
Published in O'Brien County's Bell-Times-Courier Nov. 1, 2018